Old 08-02-2012, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Snag Snag is offline

Default It's about time ...

Derald wrote:
"Snag" wrote:

How do y'all start your sets ? I'll be doing tomatoes , peppers ,
marigolds , and maybe some zucchini and cantalopes . I usually do
the stuff with bigger seeds directly to the ground ...

I don't, LOL! Most years, I just buy bell pepper, tomato, and
eggplant sets from a local nursery or from a big box store. This
year, though, I have three "better boy" daughter plants from cuttings
taken in December. I grow jalapeņos year-'round by bringing them
indoors on cold nights. I just direct-seed the few curcurbits that I
grow sometime around Valentine's day; maybe earlier, if I'm feeling
lucky.
When I plant marigolds, I just direct-seed them but they're such
nuisances:
If not constantly deadheaded, marigold seedlings come up for years
afterward. I've found them ineffective in repelling nematodes, their
reputed "wholistic" gardening value, and see little point in
attracting pollinators -- honeybees, in particular -- to blossoms
other than those of my food crops.

The marigolds are purely decorative , I set 'em out among the wife's roses
..
--
Snag
Learning keeps