Old 08-02-2012, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Removing 1.5 Acres of Bamboo in Towson, MD

I don't think it is native anywhere on the continent. but then I hae
been wrong once or twice in my life.

There are 3 species of Arundinaria native to the US, all in the SE/Appalachia
area: A. appalachiana, A. gigantea, and A. tecta. That's all we've got for
native bamboos. There are others in N America, in Mexico and Central America.
Mexico, for instance, has 8 genera and 35 species.

If you want to know mo http://herbarium.usu.edu/webmanual/

Kay

Actually, the Arundinoideae are not bamboos. They are reeds. None of
the bamboo genera fall within that subfamily.

Oops! Arundinaria are NOT part of the Arundinoideae. Instead, they are
indeed bamboos.