Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 PM
JJ

Default pond on auto pilot

"Snooze" wrote:

Actually, the most useful info you could have given us is the type and
frequency of the maintenance you currently are doing.

If I had to put a pond on "auto pilot", I would tap into a water
sprinkler timer pipe to add water in an nice aerating spray pattern on
a regular basis and adjust it so the pond would overflow slightly
(perhaps into a bog) every day so that would add up to be like a water
change. Obviously, if you have highly clorinated water or if
cloramine is used by your water company, this probably won't be a good
idea. (I guess one could add a metered dispenser of clor* neutralizer
but this sounds too complicated for me)

How big are 5 fully grown koi? Sounds like you have too much fish for
the size of pond... I would expect the koi to be able to "graze" for
much of their food and train the folks to feed them very lightly.

Jay

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
Sameer,

How many fish, and what size, in what size pond? If the number of fish is
small, in relation to the pond, the fish can just eat algae off the side.
This will result in a cleaner pond, and the filters won't need cleaning

near
as often.

The pond is about 1200-1300 gal, estimated based on a rough estimate of the
pond volume. The pond holds 14 koi of various lengths, 5 are full grown. I
made a settling tank out of a 55 gal drum, which is filled with some random
length of mesh, a few milk crates, and some plants rested on top of the milk
crates.