Old 09-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Simon Foster Simon Foster is offline
Registered User

Hi again everyone,

Thankyou for the responses so far, I've looked at the results and got some sood stuff in the last 24 hours, so thank you for that.

The aim of this survey is really to find out the existing physical problems that lawn mowers/general garden tools are causing people when using them, regardless of experience or knowlege, in the hope of making some design recommendations. Obviosuly there is a pre-requisite in that I do need people who do a fair amount of gardening though. I've read a number of articles that say muscle strength begins to decrease at around 50, so I felt this was a good starting point if it's people with decreased strength and other problems such as arthritis that we're looking to make this easier for.

The point about size of lawn/width of cut is interesting. I felt at the time that it was a difficult question to ask as many people did not know the size of their lawn in dimensions, and trying to relate size to small/medium/large etc would get a bit messy, so I tried to cover this point more in how much time is spent on the tasks instead. I'd also made the assumption up until now that people would buy the lawn mower that they'd feel most comfortable using. There are quite probably a lot of people though who'd sacrifice this comfort for something that gets the job done quicker, causing their own physical problems, so this is something I'll have to take into account.

(Also thanks for pointing out the arrow error, it's been corrected.)