Old 09-02-2012, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Allotment security

On 09/02/2012 09:59, mogga wrote:
On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 10:07:25 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

Look for the stock proof hedging that looks like it has 1" needles

There isn't much stock proof hedging round New Moston and South
Chadderton but I will keep an eye out.

attached to 6" nails and you won't be too far off. A bit late now to
look for sloe fruits. There were still a few berries up here after Xmas.

I would grow a mix of sloe, bullace, wild rose and pyracantha for
variety. The birds like them all. Vandals will be shredded to pieces on
all of them. Be careful what you wish for as pruning by hand requires
thick chrome leather gloves or you will get spiked and scratched.

Thanks.
I think a nice mix would be best - pretty and practical!

I prefer chunks of about 6 feet of each to get a nice block the same.
And I don't discourage interlopers of wild rose or honeysuckle either.
You can probably add hawthorn to the list as well. Holly grows too
slowly and the prickly leaves are a bit of a nuisance on the ground.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown