Old 09-02-2012, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

Default Allotment security

On Feb 9, 10:23*am, David in Normandy
wrote:
On 09/02/2012 11:00, mogga wrote:

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 13:53:43 +0100, David in Normandy
*wrote:

On 07/02/2012 16:14, NT wrote:

Also add a _very_ loud alarm in teh shed, one that will /not/ give
false alarms.

In my experience, unless there is someone living nearby who would
actually give a damn about the noise, they are useless, as a whack with
a heavy object breaks them; as my father discovered with his garage.

We live right backing the site so might hear it - our neighbours spend
more time in the back of the house than we do (their house, not ours).

I might have a spare shed alarm somewhere

I probable depends on a number of factors as to how effective an audible
alarm is:
How loud it is.
How long the sound continues.
How close to residential properties.
What time of day or night it goes off.
And if they give a damn anyway.

Typically if a shed alarm were to sound for five seconds (before it got
smashed) at 3 AM, and assuming it managed to wake someone, they may be
less likely to get out of bed to look out of their window, especially if
it wasn't their alarm and if their bedroom was like the Arctic (Brrrr!)
they would be more likely to just wonder "What was that
noizzzzzzzzzzzzz" and turn over and drift off to sleep again.

If the alarm's loud enough it'll be too painful for the thieves to
even want to go near it. Any half sensible burglar will pick a softer
target. High power piezo shriekers are available, but they require ...
I dont remember, but something like 2A at 24v IIRC, and I may well not
do.

NT