Old 09-02-2012, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Allotment security

On 09/02/2012 12:42, NT wrote:
On Feb 9, 12:14 pm, Martin
wrote:
On 09/02/2012 09:59, mogga wrote:

Thanks.
I think a nice mix would be best - pretty and practical!

I prefer chunks of about 6 feet of each to get a nice block the same.
And I don't discourage interlopers of wild rose or honeysuckle either.
You can probably add hawthorn to the list as well. Holly grows too
slowly and the prickly leaves are a bit of a nuisance on the ground.

I'd defintiely go with variety. Sloes are lovely in pies, as long as
used correctly. Hawthorn are so-so but the yield is high and easy to
harvest.

NT

Sloes are better in gin with sugar to taste. Goes through a phase of
looking worryingly like pink paraffin but tastes wonderful after that.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown