Old 09-02-2012, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair
Gunner[_3_] Gunner[_3_] is offline

Default Removing 1.5 Acres of Bamboo in Towson, MD

On Feb 9, 7:27Â*am, Harry K wrote:
On Feb 9, 12:24Â*am, Gunner wrote:

On Feb 8, 2:43Â*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:

On 2/7/12 8:26 PM, Harry K wrote:

On Feb 7, 7:47 am, Gunner wrote:
Bamboo is a grass so Roundup is not a very effective option.

The first thing to be done is ID the type bamboo,it may not be a
runner and the cure much easier.
Talk to your county Extention agent, they will be able to direct you
in the right direction and may have low cost options for you the land
owner.

??? Â*Roundup works very well indeed on grass. Â*Dunno about bamboo but
I don't see why it wouldn't work there as well.

Harry K

Roundup kills almost any plant. Â*Grass Getter, Poast, and similar
grass-specific herbicides do not harm most broad-leaf plants.

With both herbicids and insecticides, I tend to favor the kinds that are
specific to the pest I'm trying to kill instead of killing everything in
the neighborhood. Â*No, I'm not an organic gardener; I'm merely careful.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: Â*California Mediterranean, see

Controlling Bamboo in Landscape Plantings

by Dr. Joseph C. Neal, Weed Scientist
Department of Horticultural Science
North Carolina State University

"Too often I receive the following plea: "My neighbor planted bamboo
and now it is coming up all over my yard. I have tried to kill it and
nothing seems to work!. What can I do?" Bamboo is one of the most
difficult to control "escaped ornamentals." Once established, bamboo
can take over landscapes, stream banks, and woodlands. I have seen
bamboo shoots actually breaking though concrete driveways.
Unfortunately, postemergence herbicides such as Roundup seem to only
burn back the foliage, providing no real control. "- Hide quoted text -

Odd. Â*I just googled it and your cite is the first on. Â*All the others
on page one say Roundup works fine...as would be expected as RU kills
roots, not Â*top growth. Â*The tops die when they are no longer getting
food.

Harry K.

as would be expected as RU kills
roots, not Â*top growth.

I do not find this to be correct as dpb's post explains. . I do see
where my statement is misleading, should have said is a type of grass
that R/U control is not effective on. I do not believe R/U is even on
label for bamboo. but do verify that. For further references see
below:

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1614/WT-05-187.1;

Weed Technology
Published by: Weed Science Society of America
Weed Technology 21(1):80-83. 2007

doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1614/WT-05-187.1

Controlling Bamboo (Phyllostachys Spp.) with Herbicides
Mark A. Czarnota and Jeffrey Derr*

"Bamboos are grass species that can escape cultivation and invade
lawns, landscapes, and other areas. Limited information is available
on ways to control invasive bamboo species. Greenhouse and field
studies were initiated to determine the level of bamboo control
provided by a single application of selected PRE and POST herbicides.
Bamboo species included in the study were golden bamboo in greenhouse
experiments and red-margined bamboo in field experiments. In
greenhouse trials, MSMA, quinclorac, dithiopyr, clethodim, fenoxaprop,
and sethoxydim did not control either species. Glyphosate,
glufosinate, and fluazifop significantly reduced bamboo-shoot fresh
weight, although regrowth occurred after a single application. In
field trials, bamboo control with dichlobenil in the 2002 and 2004
experiments was less than 23%. For the study initiated in 2002,
glyphosate and imazapyr provided 76% and 98% bamboo control,
respectively, at 58 wk after treatment (WAT). By 161 WAT
(approximately 3 yr after treatment), bamboo-control ratings were 40%
with glyphosate and 85% with imazapyr. For the study initiated in
2004, at 61 WAT, glyphosate and imazapyr provided 46 and 88% control
of bamboo, respectively."

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ag266:

“Herbicides"

"Considering the perennial nature of bamboo, the use of herbicide will
often be needed to hasten and improve control. However,*** there are
currently no herbicide labels that list bamboo as a controlled
species*** (emphasis added) . But there are herbicides that are
relatively effective on this weed. Both glyphosate (Roundup and
others) and imazapyr (Arsenal and others), ***used at high rates***
( emphasis added) , will control bamboo.
Research has shown that for herbicides to be effective, the bamboo
should be mowed or chopped and allowed to regrow to a height of
approximately 3 feet, or until the leaves expand (Figure 2 Pic
deleted). Glyphosate at a 5% solution or imazapyr as a 1% solution can
then be applied directly to the leaves.

It has been noted that imazapyr is more effective on bamboo than
glyphosate. However, imazapyr has a great deal of foliar and soil
activity and will potentially kill hardwood trees, shrubs, and all
grasses if their roots extend into the vicinity of the application.
Therefore, if the bamboo is growing near any desirable plant species,
imazapyr should not be used. Glyphosate does not have soil activity
and will only kill plants that are contacted with the spray solution.
This makes glyphosate a more useful herbicide option for most areas
where bamboo grows. It is important to note that one application of
glyphosate will not eradicate bamboo. You will likely be required to
mow and spray as many as 4 times for complete bamboo control to be
achieved. Persistence is key when targeting this weed.
Additionally, glyphosate comes in many different formulations and
concentrations. The 5% solution (or 6 fl oz per gallon) refers to
glyphosate formulated at a 41% concentration. If the glyphosate
product you intend to use does not contain 41% active ingredient, then
the application rate should be altered to accommodate this
difference.â€

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgi...hgic2320.html;

“A final, and often necessary, method of control for bamboo is the use
of herbicides. A non-selective herbicide with the active ingredient
glyphosate (e.g., Roundup Original, Eraser Systemic Weed & Grass
Killer, Quick Kill Grass & Weed Killer, Bonide Kleenup Grass & Weed
Killer, Hi-Yield Super Concentrate Killzall Weed & Grass, Maxide Super
Concentrate 41% Weed & Grass Killer, and Southern States Grass & Weed
Killer Concentrate) is the best option for homeowners. Glyphosate has
very little residual soil activity and will only kill plants that
receive direct contact. For glyphosate to be effective, the bamboo
must be mowed or chopped and allowed to regrow until the new leaves
expand. Glyphosate should then be applied to the leaves. Keep in mind
that one application of glyphosate will not eradicate the bamboo
infestation. It can potentially take two to three years to gain
complete control. Do not apply these products directly to water or to
areas where surface water is present. For bamboo control next to
creeks, lake basins, wetlands or other water sources where spray drift
will contact the water, choose a glyphosate product labeled for use
near water, such as Eraser AQ, Rodeo, Pondmaster, Aquamaster or
Aquapro. Aquatic formulations of glyphosate may be mixed with a non-
ionic surfactant, such as Ortho X-77 or Southern Ag Surfactant for
Herbicides, to improve control. When using herbicides, please be sure
to follow all label instructions.â€