Old 09-02-2012, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Richard Watkin Richard Watkin is offline

Default It's about time ...

Hi All,

"Farm1" wrote in message
"Snag" wrote in message

Last year and the year before I tried those peat disc things (wet 'em
and they expand into a little barrel shape) with absolutely dismal
results .

I've always found them to be about as useful as boobs on a budgerigar.
They're a waste of time and effort and money.

This year I'm going to try something different , using potting
soil or starter mix .
I have a decent plastic tray but I need to divide it into compartments .
I was considering shoebox-type cardboard , or maybe some plexiglass
strips . Or I could just go buy some small plastic cups and put holes in
the bottom for drainage .
How do y'all start your sets ? I'll be doing tomatoes , peppers ,
marigolds , and maybe some zucchini and cantalopes . I usually do the
stuff with bigger seeds directly to the ground ...

One technique I've read about, not tired, but always wanted to try, was to
grow seedlings in strips of old house guttering. The idea is to get the
seeds growing strongly with some newspaper serving to block to ends and
then when it's time to plant to just scour a gutter shaped groove intot he
soil and to shove the seedlings out in a strip. Sarah Raven (and English
garden writer does this and it looks very effective).

It does work, I made ply wood ends in stead of news paper.
I have planted broad beans and peas in gutters.hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

Mostly I just start things direct in the bed they[re foing to grow in. It
usually works but then I live in a more temperate climate than much of the
US (although counted as cold in this country) need to get a jump on the
summer.