Old 20-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Mac Knight

Default Spiders in the flowerbeds

Cool. I love to learn about things like the grass spiders.

If you feel like being bit, jump across to our side of the hill

We have lots of black widows and aggressive house spiders (also known as
hobo spiders), both of which give a nasty bite. Lots of rumors of brown
recluse spiders too, but I think most sightings of them are actually the
house spiders, which have a bite much like a brown recluse but not quite as
nasty. I've been bitten on the leg at work (while sleeping - lol - I'm a
firefighter) and had a spot about quarter-sized that suffered some necrosis
(death of the tissue) down about a 1/4" into the skin. Never been bitten by
a black widow, nor have I found them to be aggressive.

Orb weavers are marvelous creatures. Very large web spinners who catch a lot
of insects. What we in eastern WA call garden spiders also make wonderful
webs. They are gorgeous in the fall with dew on them.

Mac Knight
http://www.macknight.addr.com

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , "BiG Orange" @ wrote:

What luck I live somewhere where the chances of a dangerous spider bite
are about one in a million.