Old 10-02-2012, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair
Ron[_10_] Ron[_10_] is offline

Default Removing 1.5 Acres of Bamboo in Towson, MD

On Feb 9, 9:22*am, bob haller wrote:
On Feb 9, 9:03*am, Elliott P wrote:

On Feb 8, 6:14*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:

On 2/8/12 1:18 PM, John Simpson wrote:

If you're in MD, your 'bamboo' is most likely Japanese Knotweed.
It's REAL tough to get rid of!

JAS

Both Wikipedia and Sunset's "Western Garden Book" indicate that Japanese
knotweed is Persicaria capitata. *This is a ground cover that, in my
garden, forms a mat about 6 inches thick. *Through most (sometimes all)
of the year, it has small clusters of pink flowers that resemble the
flowers of white clover. *For that reason, P. capitata is also called
pink clover although it is definitely not a clover at all.

However, Wikipedia also indicates that Japanese knotweed is also
Fallopia japonica (aka, Polygonum cuspidatum or Reynoutria japonica).
This indeed grows like a bamboo to 10 or more feet high. *If this is
really what Elliott P has, a grass-specific herbicide will not work
because Fallopia japonica is not at all a grass.

All this illustrates the fact that many different, unlike plants often
share the same common name. *This is why I try to use botanical names
when possible. *This also illustrates why the plant should be positively
identified before any attempt to eradicate it. *If a neighbor was
correct in reporting that this was cut for feeding pandas at a nearby
zoo, however, this must be a bamboo and not F. japonica.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: *California Mediterranean, see

David and others,

I uploaded several pictures I happen to have of the questionable
plants to my Dropbox account. You can see the gallery hehttp://www.dropbox.com/gallery/27454...amboo?h=d5ab39

I took these before posting this, therefore I don't have any close ups
of the leaves really. The first shows a fox I found running in there.
The next four are various angles, where you can see how massive these
are. There are also some in the snow, and then one showing how a large
tree has fallen among the bamboo causing some damage.

I'll take more when time and daylight allows.

ahh you admit a fox in the area. thus you have a wildlife preserve.
and will require federal state local government approval. must catch
and relocate all the wildlife. and meet EPA and other requirements.
plus post bonds and get inspections to prove the standards were met

eye roll number 2 in this thread