Old 10-02-2012, 10:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Low protein vegetables.

Sean Straw wrote:
On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 23:26:29 -0500, "DogDiesel"
wrote:

My doctor is suggesting low protein vegetables for a while. I
have Gout . Which I have been trying to address over a few years
with diet.

Uhm, low PURINE.

Protien rich foods should be reduced, but not wholly avoided. Not all
protien foods are high in purines, much as not all sugars metabolize
at the same rate.

I'm not a doctor, but what you might consider doing is increasing your
intake of foods which help the body eliminate uric acid, such as leafy
greens. ALso red cabbage, tomatoes, and green beans.

I'd seek the advice of a nutritionist (if your doctor refers you,
perhaps your medical insurance will cover it).

My wife has suffered gout a few times in the past 10 years. From what
I've seen, it's clearly no fun.

There seems to be some disagreement about this. Wikipedia quotes some
articles saying that purine intake is not as important as once thought.