Old 11-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Doghouse Riley's Avatar
Doghouse Riley Doghouse Riley is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug[_5_] View Post
As a newbie to pond fish I have four shubunkin so what are their
chances with part of the pond frozen over? I thought the main problem
was lack of oxygen rather than cold. The temperature in London this
morning is somewhere between -5C and -9C, the worst yet this winter,
but my little fountain is still running, just.

Instructions on the packet are to stop feeding when the pond temp is
below 4C and the fish haven't appeared since the cold weather
started..

Doug.
It's difficult to make general recommendations, I can only speak from my own knowledge and experience. Different fish can tolerate different conditions.

I've a 3000 gallon koi pool, I've a filter about six feet away from the pool in my garage, the pool and garage are parallel to each other with a four-foot pathway between. The filter is a complex of four 40 gallon tanks (old technology I built it 25 years ago) This is insulated and I've a swimming pool cover cut to fit and floating on the pool, but the filter runs 24/7 as does an Oase air pump feeding two air stones presently raise near the surface of the pool. Both are running at a reduced "winter rate." I'm also running a 300watt aquarium heater 24/7. We live south of Manchester and my pool has so far never been below 6C.

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/1592/p1040070s.jpg

Fish will reach a dormant stage as the temperature drops, they will stop feeding and sit on the bottom of the pool conserving energy. you don't want a situation where you are providing them with food that will remain undigested in their stomachs.
I'd try to keep an area your pool free of ice with a few kettles of boiling water. I don't know how big is yours but you don't want to effect a rapid change in temperature, fish can react badly to that as they will a rapid change in water quality.
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners!
I don't like 'em myself! They're pretty bad.
I grieve over them on long winter evenings."