Old 11-02-2012, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gunner[_3_] Gunner[_3_] is offline

Default Low protein vegetables.

On Feb 9, 8:26*pm, "DogDiesel" wrote:
My doctor is *suggesting low protein vegetables for a while. * *I have Gout
. Which I have been trying to address over a few years with diet.

Instead of meds. *Like Allupurinol and Colchicines.

I've been pretty happy with my managing .

But this is a big fail. * Its very bad.

*I set it off by eating *a couple of deer steaks and making Rabbit stew. *A
couple of times in January .

I'm pretty much done with game animals. *Which I love so much. *Because of
all the crap in our store bought meat.

I've not given much thought to vegetable protein.

But I do make Miso soup *which has tofu in it. But Its been a while.

It just seems rather extreme to say that I cant eat certain *vegetables *due
to protein content.

Any comments.

Diesel.

Ohh, gout is a hurting for certain. Hopefully it is just gout and
there is no underlying cause other than diet. I've been living for
nearly 12 years now with RA with gouty tendencies and a psoriasis
element that I have to keep suppressed. Maxing out on Morphine and
Vicodine does not even begin to address my pain in an acute flair. So
I am speaking with a bit of experience on the subject. I am not
surprised at the BS advice given to you so far but ya gotta stop
listening to this "old think" of all the friendly helpful
homepathetic gurus and Internet Medics you read here and go find a
good Internal Med Doc or a good Rheumatologist. Made a big difference
from what my GP knew on the subject, I am able now to enjoy meats,
shellfish, even beer occasionally, in moderation of course, all except
for red wine, for some reason a glass of Red rips me up the next
day. So. like plants it all has to do with the proper uptake.

You might try the Mayo Clinic Gout diet. A Mediterranean style diet
is a good example to follow, albeit absent charcuterie, offal and
oily fish/shellfish. Veggies should not be an issue with gout,
especially greens, That is old think. Science knows better these
days. As for the meat, lean game is much better than beef and pork
but If your hyperuricemia is such that a dish of rabbit stew will
trigger an attack, you need to stay on your Allopurinol ( a low
dosage anyway) as a prophylaxis so as to keep your levels 6 or
you invite an acute attack . The colchicine is tough on a system
I have some just in case but do not use it.. There is a new drug out
claiming to better control Uric Acid that you may want to discuss
with your doctor called Uloric (febuxostat).

good luck Dog