Old 20-04-2003, 09:08 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Lawn mowers

"caged lion" wrote in message

I have what is usually described as a Medium sized lawn.Quite a few ups

and
downs and many difficult edges to negotiate.

snip
When I set out to buy a new rotary mower I was advised that if I had
difficult corners, small beds etc to negotiate I needed a mower with a rear
roller instead of the usual 'wheel at each corner' because if one rear wheel
went into a dip then the blade would dig into the lawn. With a rear roller
you can cut along the edge of beds by overhanging the rear roller which
keeps the mower level but allows the blades to cut up to (and beyond) the
edge of the grass.
Seemed logical, and works for me.
The rotary with a rear roller also gives a nice stripe to the lawn.
Four stroke petrol is fine - my mower (called Harry for some strange reason)
always starts easily and requires very little servicing.
It is a lot easier to use than previous electric or two stroke petrol
mowers.
HTH
Dave R