Old 11-02-2012, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Ping Sacha

On 2012-02-11 08:41:38 +0000, "Charlie Pridham"
said:

On 2012-02-09 14:43:20 +0000, Spider said:

Hello Sacha,

You asked me to let you know when we might be passing your
delightful
establishment. We have finally got around to booking a week's
holiday.
We will be staying in Redruth from 14th to 21st May, then staying
overnight in Ashburton at the Dartmouth Lodge, so we hope to
call in
and see you on the 22nd May.

We have an interesting agenda, including: Heligan, Rosemoor,
Buckland
Monachorum, Burnham (Orchid) Nurseries, hopefully Burncoose
Nurseries,
Coleton Fishacre, Lanhydrock, Knighthayes Court. Hope we can
fit all
these in! If not, we'll have to try again another year:~).

Fantastic! We'll look forward to seeing you. You forgot to add
Wildside
(Thursdays only, I believe)!! That's Keith Wiley's place. It
will be
lovely to see you and we'll x fingers for good weather. Wildside is
extremely close to The Garden House, in the same lane, in fact.

Oooh! I'll drop a hint to the chauffer, then. Mustn't miss an
opportunity. Thanks, Sacha.

We may even come with you if I can get Ray away. Thursdays are bad
days
for us to 'escape'. But we haven't been for a while and would like to
see what he's achieved so far. Afaik the nursery is open all the time
but the garden only on Thursdays. It's worth checking to be sure I'm
right, though. Burnham Orchids are about 15 to 20 minutes from us
and we
can explain to you how to get there but if you've got SatNav that
will
do it for you! Coleton Fishacre is well worth seeing though I hope
the
cannas etc. they got from us have survived the winter by the time you
get there! It's a stunning garden but we haven't seen it for two
years.
Another good one is Overbecks, just to add confusion. We love
Lanhydrock
- the house always gives the impression that the owners have just
stepped out. And if you get time it's worth visiting Cotehele because
it's so old and so beautiful. Go on a sunny day as there's no
electricity.

Oh, that would be lovely if you could escape for a while, but I won't
rely on it. I'll have a Google on Wildside and see what they say
about opening times. RG does have a SatNav (he loves to argue with
it), but I'm sure he'd be glad to hear the 'local' approach to
Burnhams. Hopefully, he won't argue with you the way he does with the
"route recalculation" device!

By the time we see you, we will have visited Lanhydrock and, perhaps,
Cotehele too. I confess I'd forgotton about Overbecks. I'll check
that out and see how we can fit it in. It's going to be a busy
trip:~))!

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

At only 3 miles from Redruth on the way back to Truro I was going to
suggest you drop in here for a cuppa but I see from your wish list you
would be hard pressed to fit it all in! But the offer is there if you
want to.

Leave plenty of time for Rays greenhouses (I could get lost in there
for days!)

You and Liz could come up for a very mini-meet! Spider and her OH have
been here once before but it was a good few years ago. We coould always
rope you all together. ;-)

And have us miss the garden at Roselands?! It would be lovely to fit
you both in, but it will be a tight fit.

I have discovered that Wildside won't be open whilst we're away, so
*perhaps* (instead of seeing Wildside together) we could all meet at
Roselands? It's not my place to invite you to Roselands, of course,
but it's a suggestion. Indeed, if Thursday is a difficult day for you
and Ray to escape, perhaps we could meet at Roselands earlier in the
week (when it's easier for you), then still visit you at Hill House on
the Thursday?

For Charlie's benefit, it may help to know that we'll be staying in
Illogan, Redruth.

I don't think I'll get him to go 'that far' from home in May. Half a day
over the moor and back is one thing but a whole day?? Tsk! But do go to
Roseland. The plants are mouthwatering and the garden is beautiful and
very imaginative, imo.

Understood. I shall find it quite hard leaving my garden in May! We'll
see how it goes, then. I'll have a chat with RG and see what he thinks
possible. He's plotting everything on a map, I think, so that will make
things clearer. I want to see lots of gardens (as well as allowing RG
to choose a venue), but I love the sociable side of gardening, too, and
chatting with other gardeners, so it's going to take some planning.