Old 20-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Rod

Default Do I really need to stake this tree?

"Paul" wrote in message
However, as my tree is grafted, I think I'll be following JB's advice,
and use a low diagonal stake. This won't look too unsightly, and will
have the additional advantage that I'll be able to use the remnants of
the stake I managed to break whilst doing the original planting - so
I'll be able to save myself another 4 quid!

That would be my advice - we don't stake trees as high as we used to and as
a result they develop stronger stems. You do need to be careful tho if you
get a tree on a long thin stem with a great lollipop head on it.
(a) You shouldn't buy a tree like that
(b) No decent nurseryman would grow a tree like that.
Did that stake *really* cost 4 quid?
It's worth looking in yellow pages for small country sawmills for that sort
of thing. They are getting more common now portable bandmills are quite
cheap and estates are trying to add value to their timber rather than
selling round logs for peanuts as they used to.

Rod