Old 12-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Chourreau Chourreau is offline
Registered User

Smile Maintenance of Dracaena Massangeana (Corn Plant)

Hi,

I bought my first plant in January 2011. Dracaena Massangeana or Corn plant.
I would like to know a few things about how to maintain it and about how it "works".

When I fist bought it, it looked like this :

DRACAENA MASSANGEANA Potted plant - IKEA

and now it looks like this. (see picture attached)

- So the smallest trunk of the three had yellow leaves when I came back from holidays and I cut the two sprouts that you can see on the picture. Is this trunk completely dead or will it grow again? If yes, will it be on the sprouts I cut or somewhere else on the trunk?

- The plant is getting bigger and bigger..Am I supposed to remove the "older" lowering leaves and only keep the new upper ones on a sprout? If yes, what's the best way to remove the leaves?

- I've never repoted a plant (never in my whole life actually) and the pot seems a little bit low and narrow for this plant. Do you think I should repot it into a bigger one? If so, how do you do it and what compost are you supposed to use?

- I would like to grow a new plant from this one. How am I supposed to do it? I've heard that you've got to cut a sprout (for example the big ones on the picture) and replant it in a new pot. If that is true, how can the sprout becomes a large trunk like the one it has now??
If yes, where are you supposed to cut the sprout? How many centimeters from the trunk?

Well, that's all. I hope you will be able to enlighten me on this mysterious plant as I cannot find many informations on internet and I want it to be healthy!

Thank you very much
Attached Thumbnails
Maintenance of Dracaena Massangeana (Corn Plant)-screen-shot-2012-02-12-15.40.05.jpg