Old 12-02-2012, 10:29 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Price View Post
Hi

I'm thinking of building a failrly large planter, or maybe 2 or more
smaller ones and would appreciate some feedback.

It/they are for a recently tarmacced area on the front of my house,
underneath a window - about 330cm wide. Looks nice and neat, but
begging for a planter.

I also have several logs from a couple of Leylandii that I cut down
back in the autumn, easily long enough to do it in one.

So,

a) would those logs be a suitable material? How fast would they just
rot?
b) if suitable, does anyone know of any build guides?

I picture lining it/them. Presumably it would need to be drainable -
would it need say gravel in the base?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, never done anything like this
before, but have increasing amounts of time, combined with decreasing
amounts of cash!

--
One thing to think about the leylandii logs is that they haven't had long to season, are they going to
twist as they dry further? You'd probably want to split them lengthwise otherwise you end up with quite thick walls to your planter.

A different design you could think of is not a planter, but merely something to hide a collection of containers - ie make the planter, don't bother to line it, possibly you don't even need a base. Then stand a selection of whatever containers you can get hold of inside. Three advantages a) no contact between soil and logs - they'll rot less quickly (waterproofing never seem to be 100% successful) b) you can change containers through the year, remove a container whose plants have just finished flowering and replace it with one about to come into flower. c) easier to disassemble should you need to, for example to paint the window frame.