Old 12-02-2012, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default RBG Kew yesterday

"Bertie Doe" wrote ...

I've only got enough room for a couple of phals on the windowsill. Nice
pics
BTW any idea what the long tailed bird is on DSCN 1858?

It's a Ringed Necked Parakeet, also known as the Surrey Parrot. They have
been in the Staines/Wraysbury area for decades and there was a flock
estimated at 4,000+ that used to roost at a rugby club in Esher that has
since changed roosting site as they do. We get them on our bird feeders
occasionally and hear/see them daily. Very difficult to see when the leaves
are on the trees, they do a lot of damage eating tree buds in winter.

Two legend how they got here...
1. The original one I heard. A bargee had a pair in a cage and one day the
barge started to sink so he let them out.
2. A flock were used in a film at Shepperton Studios, there was a fire and
someone opened the door.
Take your pick.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.