Old 13-02-2012, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Build a planter

On 12/02/2012 17:48, John Price wrote:
Hi

I'm thinking of building a failrly large planter, or maybe 2 or more
smaller ones and would appreciate some feedback.

It/they are for a recently tarmacced area on the front of my house,
underneath a window - about 330cm wide. Looks nice and neat, but
begging for a planter.

I also have several logs from a couple of Leylandii that I cut down
back in the autumn, easily long enough to do it in one.

So,

a) would those logs be a suitable material? How fast would they just
rot?
b) if suitable, does anyone know of any build guides?

I picture lining it/them. Presumably it would need to be drainable -
would it need say gravel in the base?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, never done anything like this
before, but have increasing amounts of time, combined with decreasing
amounts of cash!

Many Thanks

Not sure about a planter from cut logs.

Many years ago I made a 2 x 2 x 0.3metre raised peat bed for some small
ericaceous plants from 2 metre lengths of rough pine logs. Three 10 cm
diameter logs were put on top of each other for the height. held in
place with a smaller piece of log on the outside. The inside was lined
with polythene to give some protection from the damp soil. I used no
painted preservative and it lasted years, although the bark peeled off
after 3 or 4 years and it started to look a bit tatty. Would that be
considered "shabby chic" now?!

As you have said, line your planter with something waterproof. As long
as the soil level is not above it (or too far below for appearance
sake!), you can get away with a cheap polythene liner. Remember it is
UV light which damages polythene, not damp, so if it it covered it will
last. Providing there are a few holes drilled in the base, I wouldn't
bother with gravel (unless you intend the planter to be for alpine
plants which will need very good drainage).

How rough or otherwise you want the outside appearance to be is up to
you, but if you saw the logs along their length for a smooth finish you
will need some sort of preservative on that cut surface..

--

Jeff