Old 14-02-2012, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Well That's Winter Over Then

On 13/02/2012 18:38, Jake wrote:
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 17:57:21 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

On 13/02/2012 17:05, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:07:11 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

Large numbers of mistle thrushes here (London/Kent). Never really
noticed them in previous years.

Mistle thrushes seemed to almost disappear for a few decades but they
are coming back slowly now.

Steve

I first noticed a pair on some mistltoe (which also seems plentiful at
the moment). Then a flock of about 20 arrived and stripped a pyracantha.

Lucky you - having a pyracantha getting that berried up before it's
stripped. Here the berries disappear as they form. The only thing that
ever sees the new year is the crab apple which is now getting
stripped slowly.

Strangely, here we don't see mistle thrushes, only their smaller
cousins which are supposed to be rare now.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay where
the four seasons are salt,pepper,mustard and vinegar.

Every other garden has pyracantha here in the suburbs! This year the
berries were plentiful, and untouched until the latest cold spell.

I've never noticed mistle thrushes before. They create quite a stir when
they come calling so you can't miss them.