Old 16-02-2012, 03:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Need advice/tips for repotting my Aloe without breaking him

Clara writes:

I live in Casper, WY and I Have a Huge Aloe Vera that needs repotted but
Im affraid of breaking him. For our climate he is rare, even for a
house plant. He is 4' 2" tall, 38" from side to side and has about a 3"
(stock?) Im not sure if that is the right word for an Aloe. I know this
must sound kind of ridiculous, but I've had Henry forever. Can anyone
give me advice, tips of the trade or (an old family secret) :-} for
repotting this old beast without breaking him? I would so appreciate
any ideas. Thank You

Pretty large for an Aloe Vera.

We have one that keeps forming leaves up the stalk then eventually
breaks off and falls on the floor. New plants start from the bottom.

Not sure it would be a good thing to take it out and re-pot
with the stem buried deeper. Anyway our technique is benign neglect and
we've had the plant for ages but it doesn't seem so old that we've named
it.

--
Dan Espen