Old 15-02-2012, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Microsoft now pushing automatic IE upgrades

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message
A while ago I posted a warning that Microsoft were planning to push
automatic upgrades (as opposed to updates) to Internet Explorer via
the Microsoft/Windows Update service. I recall that there was some
discussion following my post and that one or two people were worried
about the consequences. Anyone with Windows Vista or Windows 7 stands
to be upgraded to IE9 and anyone with the XP operating system stands
to get IE8.

There is still a fair number of web sites that don't work with IE9 and
the people that produce some of the assistive technologies say they
are still trying to achieve compatibility. I've had support calls from
people who've upgraded to IE8 and have had to be talked through going
back to IE7 because of problems.

Anyhow, Microsoft are now pushing the auto-upgrades. More info is
available at:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/securitytips...r-browser.aspx

The info includes (if you delve a bit) ways you can prevent the auto
upgrade and the circumstances in which it won't happen anyway.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
A raisin is just a grape with sunburn.

Certainly caused me problems with the web site we book mail order in on, it
would not work with IE9 so I changed back, but now I have a site that wants
9 and gives problems on 8, seems you cant win

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs