Old 16-02-2012, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
F F is offline

Default Outdoor thermostat and pond heater

On 16/02/2012 06:16 Doug wrote:

On Feb 15, 2:07 pm, Fnews@nowhere wrote:
On 06/02/2012 12:31 F wrote:

Following comments here and elsewhere about the value of a waterfall in
cold conditions, we're thinking of installing one (only short, ~1M
long). Has anyone any suggestions on a suitable pump and pre-formed
waterfall? The pond is 2M x 1.5M x 0.75M deep.

Suggestions on any associated equipment that would eliminate/reduce the
green pea soup we currently experience in summer would also be welcome,
along with suggestions for suppliers. The Seapets experience was less
than inspiring with telephone requests for advice being met with great
vagueness and emails being ignored.

Assuming you mean a carpet of duckweed, this can be minimised by
flowing water, preferably a fountain which will keep an area clear of
it. Frequent scooping out with a kitchen strainer also helps a lot.

No, no duckweed. The water simply turns green and it's difficult to see
even a few centimetres into it.