Old 16-02-2012, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected][_2_] marc@best-gardening-tips.com[_2_] is offline

Default Rose Gardening in 2012 starts now!

On 15 Feb., 04:37, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 1/28/12 7:39 AM, wrote:

Hello everybody,

yesterday I wrote an interesting post on my blog and I want to share
it with you for free.

It contains nice tips and tricks to get beautiful roses in 2012.

Just use the link below:

http://www.best-gardening-tips.com/2...ose-gardening-...

The Web site says: Mulching
If you’ve covered the soil around your roses with mulch or compost
during winter, take most of it away and apply a new layer.

I certainly would NOT remove mulch just as it is turning into compost.
I merely pile even more leaves on top. *Of course, that is only for the
rose bed in front of my house. *The rose bed in back has a thick ground
cover that serves very well as a mulch.

The Web site says: Pruning
In spring, this means to remove old and diseased parts of the plant

In the spring? *My roses were all pruned by 8 January. *At that time,
some of the roses were still blooming, which meant my wife got a nice
bouquet.

Also, pruning involves opening up the center of the plant to improve air
circulation. *Finally, it is supposed to reduce the number of canes
(main branches) to 3-5 in order to create a sturdy scaffold for new
growth; otherwise, the plant might have many weak twigs instead of
strong branches. *See my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_rosepruning.html.

The Web site says: Spraying
You should also spray your roses if you’ve noticed fungus or mildew
on them. I like to use a combination of lime sulphur and horticultural oil

Copper sulfate and oil are much better at eliminating mildew, rust, and
over-wintering insect eggs. *I always mix some liquid soap into any
spray; it acts as an excellent wetting agent, ensuring that the spray
does indeed cover all of the plant.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: *California Mediterranean, see

Hello David,

thank you very much for your (correcting) tips :-)

I never want to stop learning more and more about gardening and it
seemed that you know a lot about rose gardening. I'll integrate your
tips in my next rose article!

Or would you like to write a new one on my blog? I would appreciate
it!

I also shared your website (http://www.rossde.com/garden/
garden_rosepruning.html) with my twitter and facebook friends. Hope
there are some new readers for you

Have a nice day.

Greets
Marc