Old 17-02-2012, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_4_] Baz[_4_] is offline

Default OT Microsoft now pushing automatic IE upgrades

Martin wrote in
:

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:34:49 GMT, Baz wrote:

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote in
m:

A while ago I posted a warning that Microsoft were planning to push
automatic upgrades (as opposed to updates) to Internet Explorer via
the Microsoft/Windows Update service. I recall that there was some
discussion following my post and that one or two people were worried
about the consequences. Anyone with Windows Vista or Windows 7
stands to be upgraded to IE9 and anyone with the XP operating system
stands to get IE8.

There is still a fair number of web sites that don't work with IE9
and the people that produce some of the assistive technologies say
they are still trying to achieve compatibility. I've had support
calls from people who've upgraded to IE8 and have had to be talked
through going back to IE7 because of problems.

Anyhow, Microsoft are now pushing the auto-upgrades. More info is
available at:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/securitytips...2/02/update-yo
ur -browser.aspx

The info includes (if you delve a bit) ways you can prevent the auto
upgrade and the circumstances in which it won't happen anyway.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
A raisin is just a grape with sunburn.

For that reason and more, I am experimenting with linux, amongst
others, on a couple of old pc's I have.
IMO Windows is becomming far too complicated and intrusive. And
Windows eats RAM before any proggy can get a look in.
Does the average person use the bloated facilities of Windows? I very
much doubt it.

I tried using Linux for a year and have gone back to using Windows.

This average user wasn't willing to replace peripherals and boards
because they were no longer supported by Linux.

I must admit that I have to use windows to get drivers for network cards
for linux (to get online) but other than that it seems to be flawless
getting drivers for any mobo.

Baz