Old 17-02-2012, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default OT Microsoft now pushing automatic IE upgrades

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 14:22:53 GMT, Baz wrote:

Martin wrote in
:

I tried using Linux for a year and have gone back to using Windows.

This average user wasn't willing to replace peripherals and boards
because they were no longer supported by Linux.

I must admit that I have to use windows to get drivers for network cards
for linux (to get online) but other than that it seems to be flawless
getting drivers for any mobo.

Baz

It's surprising how many people are just not prepared to think Linux.

In my IT Manager days, I set up a Linux mail server using an old
desktop computer with (wait for it) 128MB of RAM and a 368MB hard
drive! Cost NIL. That mail server happily took care of over 100 staff
and ran for 6 years without ever being turned off for anything. Then a
new Finance Director appeared (he was my boss) and he didn't like
Linux so I was directed to switch to Microsoft Exchange Server and
Outlook. The software cost was nearly £10K and the hardware was about
£40K. I left the place soon after in a huff. Since then the hardware
has broken down on average about once every three months, they've
spent God knows how much on staff training, upgraded the hardware
twice. And in the recession, gone down to about 65 staff.

Moral - if you want to run Linux, don't worry about the latest kit.
Look for something old that someone's recycling (Freecycle or similar)
for free. If it's 386, 486 or 586 (Pentium), it'll run Linux "out of
the skip". And perform better than new kit plus M$ stuff.

If you need drivers, you should be able to go online at your local
library (which will be windoze based of course) and download them
there.

Now back to the strawberries (which are starting to flower !!!!) .....

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
A raisin is just a grape with sunburn.