Old 18-02-2012, 04:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_11_] Billy[_11_] is offline

Default History And Care Of Gardenia Plants And Gardenia Flowers

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Feb 15, 3:35*pm, BobWalsh
wrote:
Hi Everybody,

I just published an article about gardenia plants and thought it might
be helpful for some members in this forum....

[...]

*Gardenia* is a genus of flowering plants comprised of about 142 species
belonging to the family of Rubiaceae. Gardenia plants are indigenous to
the tropical and subtropical areas of Africa, Asia and Australia.

[...]

***Bob, I really truly do appreciate your kindness in posting this
comprehensive article on Gardenias

But something snapped within me key melodramatic music when I read
"comprised of". This incorrect usage seems to be spreading like
kudzu.
It isn't just you, believe me!

One can say "comprise" with a direct object: "flowering plants
COMPRISE 142 species...

or

One can say "composed of": "flowering plants COMPOSED OF" 142
species...

But one ***cannot*** say "comprised of".

There, I got it off my chest. So why don't I feel better...it's
probably a losing battle. sigh

HB

Huh?
omprise |k?m?pr?z|
verb [ trans. ]
consist of; be made up of : the country comprises twenty states.
€ make up; constitute : this single breed comprises 50 percent of the
Swiss cattle population | ( be comprised of) documents are comprised of
words. - Oxford American Dictionary

Bad enough to be retentive, but wrong on top of it? Oy!
--

Billy

E Pluribus Unum

Palestinian Villages May Soon Go Dark Once Again
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,815476,00.html