Old 18-02-2012, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
RJS RJS is offline

Default Barbed Wire and the law

On Feb 18, 6:32*pm, Janet wrote:

*? I thought you were planning a wire mesh fence; they don't cast
appreciable shade. I wouldn't recommend erecting any *full-barrier wooden
fence close to a beech hedge. They are likely to damage each other.

* *Janet.

Hi Janet

Yes, sorry. I was going to erect a mesh dog-barrier of, say, 4' in
height and then increase the height by, originally, barbed-wire to
make it person proof as well. The barbed-wire is now doubtful after
all the legal mutterings. I suppose that I could, and I guess that
this is what you may have imagined, cut the 'outside' of the hedge
back to the trunks at whatever height is needed and install a
chainlink fence close to the trunks. Is that what you imagined?

Whatever I erect must maintain security.

Having managed to scratch a cornea while preparing the ground along
the outside of the hedge on Thursday - despite safety goggles - I've
rather lost interest and have asked a fencing contractor to visit next
week to see what they can suggest.

Richard