Old 18-02-2012, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Janet Janet is offline

Default Barbed Wire and the law

In article 9c071008-1bfa-4537-a303-
, says...

On Feb 18, 6:32*pm, Janet wrote:

*? I thought you were planning a wire mesh fence; they don't cast
appreciable shade. I wouldn't recommend erecting any *full-barrier wooden
fence close to a beech hedge. They are likely to damage each other.

* *Janet.

Hi Janet

Yes, sorry. I was going to erect a mesh dog-barrier of, say, 4' in
height and then increase the height by, originally, barbed-wire to
make it person proof as well. The barbed-wire is now doubtful after
all the legal mutterings. I suppose that I could, and I guess that
this is what you may have imagined, cut the 'outside' of the hedge
back to the trunks at whatever height is needed and install a
chainlink fence close to the trunks. Is that what you imagined?

Well, I'd be much more ruthless with the hedge and cut it to a foot
high. I've seen this done (farming neighbour) and it regrew very fast. The
fence will be your security barrier.

Having managed to scratch a cornea

ouch

while preparing the ground along
the outside of the hedge on Thursday - despite safety goggles - I've
rather lost interest and have asked a fencing contractor to visit next
week to see what they can suggest.

Remember, Rylock stockfence is far cheaper and faster to erect than
chainlink. So he might not mention that unless you ask :-)

Janet