Old 19-02-2012, 03:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening
Cynic Cynic is offline

Default Metal theft. The biters bit

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 14:06:27 -0800 (PST), Ste
wrote:

IME most people over 25 have bought their own appliances and do not
live in accomodation furnished by the landlord.

It is quite common for a fitted hob and cooker to be provided by the
landlord, and I've known several landlords to offer fully-furnished
family-sized properties at the bottom end of the market.

You make it sound like appliances are a once-in-a-lifetime purchase,
that once you have them they follow you around for the rest of your
life. In reality they require removal when moving house, and often
require replacement within several years, so the poor do not
necessarily carry a full set of high-quality appliances around with
them.

I know. Nor does the landlord carry a warehouse full of replacement
fridges and cookers. Perhaps you think he should?

I manage all my cooking very well in an inexpensive combination
microwave I acquired for free and a counter-top hob - though I
recently bought a small oven/grill (£27 Argos 883/3516) to make cheese
on toast. You can get second-hand microwave ovens and hobs for under
£10 each without waiting too long. If you don't have Internet to
look, Friday Ad is free.

=A0The cost need not be
all that great so long as you buy second-hand and are prepared to wait
for a bargain.

Lol. How long are you typically prepared to wait with an empty stomach
and dirty clothes?

Don't be such a drama queen. It's all part and parcel of preparing to
live in a new home. A basic microwave (if necessary borrowed from
friends or family) is sufficient to make meals, and the local
laundromat or mummy will clean your clothes - or wash them in the bath
as people used to do if you're really stuck.

There is actually more of a market in my experience
for *landlords* to make the capital investment in reasonable second-
hand appliances, and then add it onto the weekly rent, because other
than eliminating the up-front cost for those who have little money,
landlords are usually in a better position to have contacts and
knowledge, easy transportation, etc.

If they did that, you'd be complaining about them profiteering from
the poor. You can indeed rent kitchen appliances instead of buying,
but it is not terrifically cost-effective IMO. Renting electonic
goods such as TV and computers makes a bit more sense in order to
upgrade to the latest and greatest every year.

--
Cynic