Old 20-02-2012, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default What's all this about a drought?

"Doug" wrote in message
On Feb 20, 7:58 am, harry wrote:
On Feb 20, 6:14 am, Doug wrote:

I live in London and my garden has been sopping wet for months and yet
we have this...

"The Environment Secretary Caroline Spelman is hosting a drought
summit later as parts of England struggle with groundwater levels
lower than in 1976.

She has invited water companies, farmers and wildlife groups to
discuss the situation in south-east England, East Anglia and the east
Midlands.

The River Kennet in Wiltshire has dried up completely west of
Marlborough.

The Angling Trust's chief executive Mark Lloyd said "it's a pile of
stones you can walk across in ordinary shoes".

Many rivers in south-east England have also dried up..."

Mohttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17091256

Doug.

What is your question/point?

Isn't it obvious? I live in SE England with a very wet garden while
the above claims there is a severe drought in SE England. My rainwater
buckets are full to the brim so why the apparent inconsistency?

Doug.

Between us, in our two gardens, (ours and our daughter's) we have 12 full
sized water butts. All full. We have had hardly any rain so why are they all
full? We don't water much at this time of the year :-)

This year, we have only had two rainy days if my memory serves me correct.

Mike
South East Coast of the Isle of Wight.
You tell me if that is SE or SW