Old 20-02-2012, 09:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Aucuba Japonica(Spotted Laurel) Dead Plants

On 19/02/2012 20:33, Terry Deans wrote:
Hope someone can help!?

Over the past two years, the Spotted Laurel in a large garden I've been
working in have suffered almost total devastation with mass dying of the
shrubs. I have been aware that the property next door is suffering from
the same problem. The plants have started wilting first, then leaves
blackening and dying, then subsequently the whole plant dies right down
to the roots.
I have posted/uploaded some photos, ranging from a healthy looking tip
to the inside of the dead trunk/stems showing the state left on the
inside. Also a couple of the dying and dead foliage/stems.
There are other 'laurels'(Bay,Portuguese and English) as well as various
regular shrubs and trees of other species which are totally unaffected.
Up to now, apart from asking anyone(gardeners/garden centre staff) whom
I think might know the problem, I have cut out and burned all affected
plants as they occur and now have very little left with no signs of it
abaiting.

Thank you for any morcel of advice however small. The phots will either
be linked on this post or on the Garden Photographs section under 'Dying
Aucuba!!'

Terry

[image: http://i40.tinypic.com/w2o7yq.jpg]
[image: http://i43.tinypic.com/kswh4.jpg]
[image: http://i42.tinypic.com/dea44y.jpg]
[image: http://i39.tinypic.com/ftlu6u.jpg]
[image: http://i41.tinypic.com/2uqjfyv.jpg]

Aucuba are normally pretty resistant to disease. What you are
experiencing could well be related to root rot. Whether this is from
wet soil conditions or due to infestation by Phytophthora is difficult
to say (partial waterlogging can, however, make Phytophthora infection
more likely). If it was solely due to waterlogged soil I would expect
other species of plants to be affected. Phytophthora, however, is a
strange pathogen that can decimate certain species whilst leaving others
unaffected, so my money would be on Phytophthora.

If it is Phytophthora there is really nothing that can be done, or is
worth doing, to treat the Aucuba. Probably the best thing is to see
what plants remain healthy, and put in more of those. I wouldn't bother
trying to plant healthy Aucuba to replace those that have been lost.

--

Jeff