Old 20-02-2012, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default What's all this about a drought?

"Jake" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 22:14:28 -0800 (PST), Doug
wrote:

I live in London and my garden has been sopping wet for months and yet
we have this...

"The Environment Secretary Caroline Spelman is hosting a drought
summit later as parts of England struggle with groundwater levels
lower than in 1976.

She has invited water companies, farmers and wildlife groups to
discuss the situation in south-east England, East Anglia and the east
Midlands.

The River Kennet in Wiltshire has dried up completely west of
Marlborough.

The Angling Trust's chief executive Mark Lloyd said "it's a pile of
stones you can walk across in ordinary shoes".

Many rivers in south-east England have also dried up..."

Mo
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17091256

Doug.

London is, I think, about 35 miles from east to west. I'm at the east
end of Swansea Bay. Another URGler is at the west end. As the crow
flies we're about 15 miles apart.

If you follow this group, you'll know that I've often moaned thru the
last winter that my ground is dry, my water butt is empty and I'm
having to resort to using a hose. OTOH, he's sinking into the mud as
it's so wet.

Significant differences in rainfall occur over surprisingly short
distances.

And the amount of rain is only one factor in determining whether an
area has enough or not enough water.

Your question indicates that you have a lot to learn.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

For those that notice such things - I'm changing my
Usenet provider to News.Individual.NET. It's still me!

We have the same variation on the Isle of Wight here. My garage is at the
bottom of my gardens, a distance of about 100 feet ............ yes we have
a small area for our gardens, ............. and one night I had to dash
through the rain to get to the car to go to the Theatre in Newport, 9 miles
away. Before I got to Newport, dry roads and pavements. By the time I got
into Newport, people were walking about in shirt sleeves.

Snow, when we get it, is the same. North of the line Bembridge to Yarmouth
can be snowbound but South of the line clear.

Mike