Old 20-02-2012, 11:57 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening,uk.politics.misc
The Todal The Todal is offline

Default Sodium Chloride!! ... the silent killer??

Norman Wells wrote:
The Todal wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote in message

Yeah. Right. They look about as authoritative as the claims that
high fructose corn syrup is good for you (if you want type II
diabetes and hypertension) or tobacco industry stuff proving that
smoking does not cause cancer. Why I am not surprised that various
salt manufacturers associations are saying that you should eat shed
loads of salt - could it be that they profit from increased sales?

Some dietary salt is essential, but it is also true that far too
much modern processed food contains way too much salt (and sugar).

Sodium is so common in the environment that it is rare to be
deficient today unless you do something very silly on a fad diet.

Sodium chloride is associated with stomach cancer. People eat far too
much added salt in their diet.

I don't. I eat exactly the amount I want. And I always will.

Well, no you don't.

If you buy a loaf of bread or a packet of breakfast cereal or a pizza, you
can't remove some of the salt before eating these things. And there is
generally too much salt in these products because in customer surveys the
stuff with less salt is judged to be bland and less popular by customers,
and that's mainly because everyone has got used to eating a lot of salt.
Just as everyone has got used to eating a lot of sugar so people expect
sugar in their tomato ketchup, etc.

It should go without saying of course that if you are eating your dinner it
would be better not to sprinkle any additional salt on your food as this
won't confer any benefit and may very slightly increase the risk to your
health.

The Daily Mail is associated with scaremongering. People read too
much Daily Mail.

That may be true, so I never rely on the Daily Mail for advice about health.
There are more reliable sources.

http://www.worldactiononsalt.com/sal...ach/index.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8671549
http://www.nature.com/bjc/journal/v1.../6605993a.html