Old 20-02-2012, 12:12 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening,uk.politics.misc
The Todal The Todal is offline

Default Sodium Chloride!! ... the silent killer??

"Fuschia" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 11:39:10 -0000, "Norman Wells"
wrote:

The Todal wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote in message

Yeah. Right. They look about as authoritative as the claims that high
fructose corn syrup is good for you (if you want type II diabetes and
hypertension) or tobacco industry stuff proving that smoking does not
cause cancer. Why I am not surprised that various salt manufacturers
associations are saying that you should eat shed loads of salt -
could it be that they profit from increased sales?

Some dietary salt is essential, but it is also true that far too much
modern processed food contains way too much salt (and sugar).

Sodium is so common in the environment that it is rare to be
deficient today unless you do something very silly on a fad diet.

Sodium chloride is associated with stomach cancer. People eat far too
much added salt in their diet.

I don't. I eat exactly the amount I want. And I always will.

The Daily Mail is associated with scaremongering. People read too much
Daily Mail.

I agree. Too much Daily Mail is bad for you. And some people are now
going to be exposed to Sun seven days a week. That will really be
toxic.

You're a Guardian reader and I claim my five quid.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...e-like-twitter

So then, witch-hunted tip-top soaraway tabloid the Sun will soon be
available in a sizzling Sunday edition. Turns out the soothsayers were
mistaken: the Sun isn't dying, it's expanding. Which, ironically, is
precisely what an actual sun does when it dies. Yes, during its death
throes, our sun will swell, boiling the oceans and turning the ice caps to
steam. All life on the planet will perish, and your copy of the Sun will
burst into flames in your hands. I say hands. I mean "carbonised stumps".
What I'm saying is it'll be hot out that day, so I wouldn't bother with a
coat if I were you.

There was something slightly wonky about the hand-rubbing relish with which
some predicted the death of the Sun. Call me an organic hessian-chewing,
hummus-eating Guardianista, but I believe in reform, not capital punishment.

It's hard to cheer when a newspaper closes. Even one you're slightly scared
of, like the Daily Mail. Even though the Mail isn't technically a newspaper,
more a serialised Necronomicon. In fact it's not even printed, but scorched
on to parchment by a whispering cacodemon. The Mail can never close. It can
only choose to vacate our realm and return to the dominion in which it was
forged; a place somewhere between shadow and dusk, beyond time and space, at
the dark, howling apex of infinity. London W8 5TT.

Yet despite being a malevolent ink-and-paper succubus that will devour your
firstborn - seriously, chuck a baby at a copy of the Mail, and watch as the
paper roll its eyes back and swallows it whole - the Mail deserves its
voice. At the Leveson inquiry, when seething Daily Mail orchestrator Paul
Dacre was quizzed about Jan Moir's notorious column on the death of Stephen
Gateley, he acknowledged that she'd possibly gone too far, but added that he
"would die in a ditch" to defend a columnist's freedom of speech. Whatever
you think of Dacre, that's a brave and noble thing to say, although
disappointingly he failed to indicate precisely when he was planning on
doing it.