Old 20-02-2012, 03:44 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening,uk.politics.misc
Norman Wells Norman Wells is offline

Default Sodium Chloride!! ... the silent killer??

The Todal wrote:
Norman Wells wrote:
The Todal wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote in message

Yeah. Right. They look about as authoritative as the claims that
high fructose corn syrup is good for you (if you want type II
diabetes and hypertension) or tobacco industry stuff proving that
smoking does not cause cancer. Why I am not surprised that various
salt manufacturers associations are saying that you should eat shed
loads of salt - could it be that they profit from increased sales?

Some dietary salt is essential, but it is also true that far too
much modern processed food contains way too much salt (and sugar).

Sodium is so common in the environment that it is rare to be
deficient today unless you do something very silly on a fad diet.

Sodium chloride is associated with stomach cancer. People eat far
too much added salt in their diet.

I don't. I eat exactly the amount I want. And I always will.

Well, no you don't.

If you buy a loaf of bread or a packet of breakfast cereal or a
pizza, you can't remove some of the salt before eating these things.
And there is generally too much salt in these products because in
customer surveys the stuff with less salt is judged to be bland and
less popular by customers, and that's mainly because everyone has got
used to eating a lot of salt. Just as everyone has got used to eating
a lot of sugar so people expect sugar in their tomato ketchup, etc.

Don't be so patronising. I'm old enough to buy the products I like the
taste of. And stuff with less salt in _is_ bland, boring and
uninteresting. So, I don't buy it. Therefore, I eat exactly the amount
of salt I want, just as I said.

I notice, and it annoys me, when salt is taken out of products I like,
and I stop buying them. Manufacturers should note that because others
are very much like me. Since all products with less salt will tend to
the bland and boring, there will be nothing to choose between them and
people will stop buying the specific brands that once had their loyalty.

It should go without saying of course that if you are eating your
dinner it would be better not to sprinkle any additional salt on your
food as this won't confer any benefit and may very slightly increase
the risk to your health.

I sprinkle salt on my dinner when I want to enhance the flavour. That's
a very considerable benefit in my view, since enjoying food is one of
the main incentives for eating it.

If you want to obediently follow the Food Police and always do what they
say is good for you, generally with very little scientific evidence to
back it up, you do that. But in my lifetime I've seen most foods
encouraged, then vilified, then encouraged again. Just to take a recent
example, who knows now whether eggs are good for you?

I am deeply suspicious of 'nutritionists' most of whom select the trials
they like to prove a point they want to make, which has to be different
from previous practice, otherwise they're redundant. It's unregulated
pseudo-science, and I don't want any part of it, thank you.