Old 21-02-2012, 12:06 AM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyseed View Post
Hello,

I am new to gardening and would would very much appreciate your advice.

I would like to plant a hedge around my front garden. It is currently 5m x 8m of lawn. The house is end of terrace and due to the very low wall, the garden is quite exposed to people walking past, throwing litter in etc. I was originally thinking of planting bare root privet or laurel but realised that if I plant right up to the side of the house, the roots could potentially cause problems.

So my plan now is to plant privet or laurels along the front garden wall only. But am stumped about what to plant along the side running up to the house. I love choisya ternata and would like to find some other foundation plants that might go well with this and eventually grow bushy / high enough to create a decent barrier, without being invasive. Do you have any suggestions?

The garden is North West facing and not overshadowed so gets a reasonable amount of sun in the afternoons/evenings. It's a fairly quiet street so not too much traffic, but there is some. I'd also eventually like to plant a tree in the garden, as well as maybe a climbing rose for the front wall, and possibly some raised beds for vegetables. But as an inexperienced gardener I would like to start slowly and make the right choices!

Thanks very much for your help.
Hi poppyseed, A couple of comments, firstly, I'd think very hard before planting laurel in such a small space ? and make sure you like the smell of privet flowers ? personally, I find the smell unbearable !
Choisya 'sundance' whilst being a lovely shrub, is quite slow growing and will only get to about 4ft tall in 10 yrs ??? so if its privacy that your after, I think you need something a bit quicker ! I'd think about Grisellinia, either plain green or variegated, Viburnum tinus, Photinia 'red robin', Euonymous japonica in its various forms or even a mixture which will give a less formal effect and might look very good. It really depends on what style you have in mind ?
best of luck ! Lannerman.