Old 20-02-2012, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Designing a Compost Bin

Ferg123 wrote:
I am a Product Designer at the University of Huddersfield, England. I
am currently designing a rotating compost tumbler and was wondering
if any of you have any advice for me when it comes to designing one.
Any experiences, both bad or good will be much appreciated. Thanks!

You don't say if it will be manual or powered, domestic or commercial.

It will be out in the weather and subject to all sorts of chemistry so
materials will have to be durable. Also you need to have a volume of
material sufficient for the pile to heat up, the weight will be considerable
and tend to settle to one side making it hard to turn, which suggest a
strong frame and barrel, which will add to the weight. Do a lot of testing,
if it takes two strong men or a motor and gear-box to turn then forget it
for domestic use.

Getting it to be durable, large enough and not too expensive to be
affordable to the average gardener is a three-way compromise that will be
very hard to solve if not impossible.

David