Old 21-02-2012, 12:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wow - fun with new chipper!

"AL_n" wrote in message
Jake wrote in
:

The other, more
expensive, type uses a crusher mechanism. Quieter and less likely to
clog so could be used to crush compost I suppose though I wouldn't
risk it as this type of shredder costs bucks!

I think that's what I've got. Here is a pictu
http://tinyurl.com/7z9duvg
The shredding mechanism looks like a 4" diameter gear wheel with hardened
edges to the teeth. It turns slowly (about 60 rpm) and drags the branches
(up to about 35mm thick) in, and chews them up. The seller advised not to
put my hand in there; can't think why. ;-)

That's like the wheel that is inside mine (see upthread) so it's not a
chipper, it's a normal garden shredder. My advice is not to overface it in
your enthusiasm of having a new toy.
I'm surprised you got away with putting seaweed through it, having read
this, tbh.
Do try not to jam it with lots of green or inappropriate stuff because even
when (of course) you switch it off first, that wheel can spin back when it's
freed and give you seriously cut fingers. It happened to me once, when I
first got it because I thought it was a miracle machine and I could throw
pretty much anything in it.
Unfortunately, that ain't so.
HTH to calm your shredder fever ;-)