Old 21-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Ferg123 Ferg123 is offline
Registered User

I find it a lot cheaper to make my own.

All I do is put the compost in a pile.
A pile way too large to fit in any bin.

As for some kind of large rotating bin, no thanks.
I'd spend all winter looking out the window seeing
a large plastic monstrosity.

--
Dan Espen[/quote]

As a product designer, my aim is to design a product which overcomes problems with certain tasks.
When I researched composting in the garden, several issues were highlighted:
-Some foods which when composted attract Rodents (Eggshells for example).
-In the heat of summer, compost heaps can give off bad odours.
-the task of mixing compost with a spade or fork can be difficult for some people such as the elderly or the less mobile.
I found the idea of making a rotating bin interesting as it means rodents can not get near the waste, the odours are contained within a sealed container and it reduces the energy needed to turn the compost (if designed properly).

I understand the issue of a plastic monstrosity but if aesthetically suited to the garden I feel it could be a potentially popular product.

Thanks Dan, really appreciate people giving their input