Old 21-02-2012, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Designing a Compost Bin

Sean Straw writes:

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 10:02:48 -0500, Dan Espen
wrote:

As for some kind of large rotating bin, no thanks.
I'd spend all winter looking out the window seeing
a large plastic monstrosity.

Situate it on the OTHER side of your barn or garden windbreaks.
Problem solved! g

Barn?

Here in the NJ suburbs I'd guess most people can see every inch
of their yard from the house. Of course if you're already staring
at a shed then you have a place behind it to put more man made clutter.

I think Brooklyn has a good point about the compost being in contact
with the ground. My pile is loaded with worms. I don't see how that
could happen with a tumbler above the ground. The worms won't get in
in the first place and when they do, no matter how deep they burrow,
it's going to still be cold.

The bins Brooklyn recommends are a step in the right direction,
but I question the need to actually enclose the compost. The
web site mentions keeping kids out. Where's the fun in that?

Anyway, I'd need about a dozen of them.

--
Dan Espen