Old 27-02-2003, 07:06 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

Default To all Paph sanderianum growers

"tennis" wrote in message
Elpaninaro wrote:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate it and will print your emails

to use
as I experiment.

Found a small space heater tonight so depending on feedback I get in that
thread, it may be the way to go for a heat source. Even in summer I keep

this
place at 70 or so, hence the heater is going to be necessary it appears.

As for the things you all mentioned, three questions,

1. How did you keep humidity so high at 95%? This could be problematic in

the
home although Houston is pretty humid.

2. One of you mentioned a compot mix that worked with bark, promix and

sponge
rock. I was thinking along the lines of the bark and either promix or

crushed
NZ sphag, but I have no idea what sponge rock is. Could you elaborate

please?

3. Finally, I hear elsewhere other than in this thread that potting

compots
with the agar intact is all the rage. My concern is about mold and

fungus. Any
issues with this? I would think the agar would very quickly contaminate

and put
the plants at risk, but for all the people who swear by this method there

must
be something that is done to avoid contamination.

Thanks much!

Take care,

Tom.

Sponge rock is a larger form of perlite.

The agar poses no mold/fungus problem provided the plants come out of a
clean flask. It breaks down and waters out pretty quickly anyway.

I personally would be afraid to have 90% humidity. That would make me
afraid of mold and fungus!

If you keep a stiff breeze blowing, the humidity can be in the 90% range,
otherwise, yes, you'll have problems. 70-80% is probably better.