Old 21-02-2012, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Moonraker Moonraker is offline

Default small chain saw

On 21/02/2012 18:32, wrote:
In ,
Janet wrote:

Can anyone recommend a small chainsaw for light work. Not to cut tree
trunks but heavier branches that are pruned and so on so i can use them
for the fire/ Sawing manually on a saw horse is definitely tiring if not
exhausting!!

You have probably heard this before but, if you find manual sawing
difficult, you do not have the strength to use a chainsaw safely.
Admittedly, using one for straight, simple lengths on a sawhorse
is by FAR the safest way of using one. I probably still have the
strength to do that (just), but have no difficulty using a bowsaw.

How big is your bowsaw, and how new the blade?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

My father collected logs, up to a reasonably large size from local
woods. He then sawed them by hand and split them with chisels and a
sledge hammer. He said it was great, as the wood provided heat twice,
once in preparation and second in burning them.