Old 21-02-2012, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can anyone identify this weed?

In message , Jim xzy
writes
Chris Hogg wrote in
:

Seeds itself all over the place.

When I see how it is behaving where I live, I could easily envisage it
taking over the entire country! It's as menacing as the prolific valerian!

Currently Alexanders is mostly southern and coastal (from the Wash to
Bristol, and also on the North Wales coast). There are a moderate number
of inland records. (I'm responsible for one cluster.)

http://www.bsbimaps.org.uk/mstetrads...0&sppname=Smyr
nium olusatrum&commname=Alexanders&countback=0

Valerian is much more widespread, but it's not greatly common up this
way. Angelica is found in the same habitats, and is appreciably more
common.

Jim

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley