Old 21-02-2012, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Another John Another John is offline

Default small chain saw

In article , wrote:

You have probably heard this before but, if you find manual sawing
difficult, you do not have the strength to use a chainsaw safely.

With all due respect: rubbish! Using a bowsaw utilises different
muscles for a start.

But the main point is _time_ (as well as muscle power): if you have a
pile of (say) 4" stuff to saw up into 10" lengths, a bowsaw will take
you a *lot* of effort. And what would take you a day with a bowsaw
(even if the blade is new) will take a couple of hours at most, and
almost no effort.

I bought a Bosch electric chainsaw about 5 years ago (I've had three new
saw-chains). It's saved me man-day's of work, and is a joy to use --
it's in the top 5 of my Top Ten Tools.

Caveats: you do need a good saw-horse (so the work is held well, and
also conveniently); and you do need to keep your wits about you -- it's
not a mindless grind, like the bowsaw. I always stand slightly to one
side of the line of the chain, when cutting "just in case". But
honestly: it's a doddle to use, and *nowhere near* as disorienting (or
should I say frightening) as a 2-stroke (which I also have).

John