Old 21-02-2012, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Designing a Compost Bin

Ferg123 writes:

As a product designer, my aim is to design a product which overcomes
problems with certain tasks.
When I researched composting in the garden, several issues were
highlighted:
-Some foods which when composted attract Rodents (Eggshells for
example).

Discussed recently here.
Don't put meat in the compost. I'm less convinced about
eggshells.

-In the heat of summer, compost heaps can give off bad odours.

Not true. (Unless you're putting meat in the compost.)

-the task of mixing compost with a spade or fork can be difficult for some
people such as the elderly or the less mobile.

Absolutely. I'm 66 and staying young turning a really massive pile
by hand. Actually, I dig and sift it through a screen. Once a year.
Anything not broken down yet goes back in the pile.

I found the idea of making a rotating bin interesting as it means rodents
can not get near the waste, the odours are contained within a sealed
container and it reduces the energy needed to turn the compost (if
designed properly).

There are no odors (IMO) but I don't think a bin will keep the odors
in. I wouldn't expect a bin to be airtight.

I understand the issue of a plastic monstrosity but if aesthetically
suited to the garden I feel it could be a potentially popular product.

I think color might help, but not green. At least in my case, in the
summer the compost is fully hidden by the trees. It's in the winter
that I see it. I've put a few holly seedlings in the yard with the
idea of hiding the pile even in the winter. I'd want any bin to be
black or brown.

Thanks Dan, really appreciate people giving their input

Even negative input, I hope.

--
Dan Espen