Old 22-02-2012, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Designing a Compost Bin

Higgs Boson writes:

Now the City has announced that food waste may be added to the yard
waste bins. Result should be will be that their next quarterly free
distribution of
(lovely, fine-textured compost) will be even richer because of the
food waste.

So I have dismantled the bin and saved the little that looks something
like compost. I'll clean it out, put on Craigs List, see who bites.

Looking back over this and the previous composter, I probably should
have just made a pile at the back of the garden and turned
periodically w/pitchfork.

Anybody else think their municipality would set up such a program?

Ours collects branches twice a year but only collects yard waste
that has been placed in large paper bags that you must purchase.

How I'm supposed to fill about 40 of these large bags per year
is a mystery. I'd need some kind of mulcher and a lot of time.

Most of my neighbors use yard services.

I just create a big pile and late in August run it through a
framed screen. It ends up on the lawn or in a flower bed.
(Where I found the leaves in the first place.)

--
Dan Espen