Old 21-02-2012, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default small chain saw

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 18:03:58 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a small chainsaw for light work. Not to cut tree
trunks but heavier branches that are pruned and so on so i can use them
for the fire/ Sawing manually on a saw horse is definitely tiring if not
exhausting!!

Reading all the replies leads me to suggest what I've suggested to
others before. OTOH, I have a small electric chainsaw somewhere up in
the attic and will happily despatch it to you if/when I can find it.
The only requirement apart from sharpening blades is a copious supply
of vegetable oil as lubrication. I will mention that as a chainsaw it
was crap.

Anyhow, the advice I've given others (and those who have followed have
thanked me) is to fork out for one of those multi-tools. For about
£170 you get a pole pruner (chainsaw sort of thing), hedge trimmer,
brush cutter and strimmer.

For your log cutting use, you'll be far enough away from the logs to
avoid personal damage. You just let the"pruner" attachment lie on the
log. It'll cut through it and all you need to worry about is stopping
it from falling when it reaches the other side.

And it will make the lopping off of branches from the trees easier in
the first place. I've cut down a tree with a 14 inch trunk with a
pruner - just cut from both sides. They're lovely little tools.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

I'm having a panic - noticed some water in the pond
in between the frog spawn.